MACUL Names Hemlock Public School District “Innovative District of the Year”
Hemlock, MI - Innovation comes in many forms and sizes, but perhaps Hemlock Public School District (HPSD) has broken the mold. The school district was recently awarded the Innovative District of the Year by the Michigan Area Computer Users and Learners.
“We are incredibly honored to be recognized for innovation as it’s not only something we strive for but have made an integral part of our identity here at Hemlock Public School District,” says Communications Specialist, Coty Slate.
The district was awarded this distinction for several reasons:
- HPSD provides equitable access to innovative learning opportunities for all their students and extends these experiences to surrounding school districts and communities.
- HPSD constructed the Lockwood STEM Center, a state-of-the-art facility specifically designed to provide hands-on learning experiences to students directly from professionals including engineers, computer scientists, and graphic designers during after school robotics programs. This facility is not only available for HPSD students but also four other surrounding school districts.
- Innovation carries over into the classroom with 1:1 Chromebook devices and advanced classroom technology. HPSD has been a leader of 1:1 technology for nearly a decade because of this HPSD’s transition to online learning during the pandemic was immediate and we did not miss a day of instruction.
- Virtual students are provided the same education as in person students and can seamlessly join the classroom setting from anywhere in the world as teachers utilize their 65” TV and Chromebox for Google Meet.
- The district, which serves upwards of 1200 students in Western Saginaw County, is making a mark with instructional technology and engaging students.
Superintendent Dr. Don Killingbeck, an educational technology leader with a graduate degree in the field from Michigan State University, says, "We strive to find a balance between technology and ensuring our students have good interpersonal skills, that they can look people in the eyes and shake hands, possessing the good graces and sensibility of their grandparents."
With our focus on our students, their families, and our community, we look forward to a bright future. The educational opportunities offered by our staff are unmatched. This award only signals what we have known all along; it is nice that others see our work and recognize it as exceptional.